As with many other communities, the local Humane Society was the driving force in Nashville receiving a National Humane Alliance fountain. In March, 1908 Major M. B. Herd, president of the Nashville Humane Society persuaded the city council to request the fountain. The city donated the land and erected it on Haymarket Square later in 1908 and designated it as the Ensign Memorial Drinking Fountain. The city council also passed legislation giving all fines collected in the police court on cruelty to animals to the Humane Society.
We have no further information about what became of this fountain.
For more on the National Humane Alliance Fountains click here.