The fountain in Mobile, Alabama has a long and interesting history with a few moves and a makeover of sorts that has transformed its looks and location. The good news is that it is still around. When first given to the city in 1907 and erected in 1908, it was located at Duncan Place and Water Street after much controversy that almost resulted in the fountain being returned to the National Humane Alliance. Today it is located at the Southeast corner of Church and Claiborne Street. Thanks to some new research by Brittany Luna, we now have an early picture of the fountain to go along with a current picture and her research also found a 2015 article in MobileBay by Tom McGehee which helps to explain the fountains history.
Like many other fountains, Mobile's location eventually proved problematic as automobiles replaced the horse drawn carriages of an early era and watering fountains for horses became obstacles to modern transportation flow. At some point, Mobile's fountain was moved to the courtyard at city hall which is now the History Museum of Mobile. From there, it surfaced again on the grounds of the city incinerator on Owens Street in 1966. In 1967, it was moved to its current location, and a generous gift from Helen Meaher resulted in the replacement of the missing lions heads with horse heads that are still there. The fountain is not currently hooked to a water supply, but who knows what the future holds!
Click here for newspaper accounts of Mobile's National Humane Alliance Fountain history.
For more on the National Humane Alliance Fountains click here.